1. The Reception of the Gospel in Thessalonica (1:1-10)
2. The Example of Christian Living in Thessalonica (2:1-16)
3. Paul's Concern for the Spiritual Welfare of Brethren
4. Paul's Plea for Holy Living (4:1-8)
5. Paul's Exhortation to Love and Be a Good Example (4:9-12)
6. The Truth About the Second Coming (4:13-18)
7. Proper Preparation for the Second Coming (5:1-11)
8. Various Exhortations (5:12-28)
Paul's first visit to Thessalonica is recorded in Acts 17:1-11
(verse 11 is included because of the contrast). When Paul arrived
there, he had just been shamefully treated at Philippi (Acts 16:11-40).
The report of his later visit was much more brief (Acts 20:1-6). Most
of Paul's letter is of an encouraging nature; the only false teaching
seems to have involved some erroneous notions concerning Christ's second
VERSES TO MEMORIZE
2:13 For this reason we also thank God without ceasing, because when
you received the word of God which you heard from us, you
welcomed it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the
word of God, which also effectively works in you who believe.
4:3-4 For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you
should abstain from sexual immorality; that each of you should
know how to possess his own vessel in sanctification and honor.
4:7 For God did not call us to uncleanness, but in holiness.
5:15 See that no one renders evil for evil to anyone, but always
pursue what is good both for yourselves and for all.
5:16-17 Rejoice Always, pray without ceasing.
5:21-22 Test all things; hold fast what is good. Abstain from
every form of evil.
KEY VERSES AND PASSAGES
1:3 Their "work of faith, labor of love, and patience of
1:6-10 Their reception of the gospel.
2:8 Paul imparted his own life for their spiritual
2:14-16 The character of the Jews.
4:13-18 The second coming of Christ.
5:23 God's concern in our sanctification.
*Send comments or questions concerning this survey to South
Seminole.[New Testament Survey Index]