1. Naomi's Entrance and Bitterness Loyalty
Exit from Moab.
2. Ruth Earns a Living Awareness Industry
for Her and Naomi.
3. Naomi's Plan for Hopefulness Opportunity
4. The Marriage of Ruth; Blessedness Reciprocity
The Lineage of Naomi.
During the dark days of the era of the judges shines one bright
ray, and she is a Gentile (which doesn't say too much in favor of the
Israelites). In fact, this story serves as quite a contrast to the
last two episodes in the book of Judges. In those we observe the sad
behavior of the "people of God"; in Ruth we see the kindness and
loyalty of a Gentile. A Hebrew family, because of a famine dwells
in the land of Moab. Naomi's husband and two sons die; so Naomi
purposes to return to Israel. She does not want to obligate her
daughters-in-law; she encourages them to remain behind. Orpah does,
but Ruth refuses to leave her with one of the most beautiful vows
ever written. Ruth goes to the fields to glean for herself and
Naomi. Boaz takes an interest in her, and they agree to marry if the
nearer kinsmen will yield. Ruth is commended by Boaz and blessed by
God. She is greatly rewarded for her unselfish behavior. Her great
grandson is David.
1:16-17 Total Loyalty for Her Mother-in-Law.
1:20 The Contrast between Pleasant and Bitter.
1:21 Whom does Naomi blame for her "Emptiness"?
Frank Dunn, in Know Your Bible, suggests the following points:
1. Boaz is a type of Christ, not only as redeemer, but as the Lord of
harvest (2:3), dispenser of bread (3:15), kinsman-redeemer (2:20),
giver of rest (3:1), man of wealth (2:1), and our strength.
2. Another lesson from Ruth is that circumstances neither make nor
destroy believers. Neither Ruth's poverty nor Boaz's wealth
turned them from God.
3. In the example of humble submission to God's will, we see in
Naomi, Ruth and Boaz that faith is the test of discipleship.
4. We also see the great value of trusting God. He will reward the
righteous (Matt. 25:46; 2 John 8 (114-15).
*Send comments or questions concerning this survey to Gary Summers.[Old Testament Survey Index]